October 21, 2011

What's that supposed to mean?

So, what do I mean, I want to be a Comics Librarian?

To be completely redundant, I mean that I want my specialty as a librarian to be the world of comics. I want my co-workers, fellow librarians and patrons to know that they can come to me with any question about any aspect of comics and get a good answer or a good reference. I want to be an advocate for comics and comics readers in the library and beyond.

But before I can do all of that, I have a few items to tackle (in no particular order):
  • Making sense of the various names we use for the medium -- comics, graphic novel, etc.
  • Getting familiar with its history
  • Establishing a working definition
  • Exploring how comics relates to other media, especially film, prose and visual art
  • Understanding, to the degree possible, the experience of first-time comics readers
  • Having a sense of how comics are different and alike around the world and across genres
  • Learning the history of comics' treatment in libraries
  • Getting to know the world of comics today: its readers, creators, publishers, critics and so on
  • Compiling a bibliography of works to help me (and others?) along this path
In the meantime (and at any time), I would love to hear from anyone who considers him/herself a Comics Librarian for any age group. What are you up to? How's it going? What can we do to help each other out?

No comments: